"The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it for yourself."

Monday, November 14, 2011

I completed my first officially timed 5K! (400 days until my 40th birthday)

With eleven pounds gone as of 11/11/11 (weird, I know), I registered for and participated in my first official chip-timed 5K on Veterans Day!  What a great way to help fund raise for our local YMCA, and get some great fresh (albeit chilly) air and exercise!  I power-walked that entire beast and, at times, even broke out into a jog.  I finished in 51 minutes 38 seconds.  I was quite proud of myself!  This was not an easy task for me, as we were spanning the Veteran's Memorial Bridge that connects Cape Coral to Fort Myers.  This event encompassed three different hill climbs!  I haven't climbed hills since my childhood in New Jersey, not to mention I have tendon and ligament damage in my ankle.  I did it though, I finished on my own two feet... and I didn't come in last!  I also recorded a better time than the two walks I've done for breast cancer awareness  this year, the ACS's Making Strides (in October) and the Komen Foundation's Race for a Cure (in March), completing each in approx 54 minutes.  In all of my exhausted glory I committed to participating in the next event on Thanksgiving morning at 7:30 a.m.?!  (Can I get a "what the frenchtoast"??)  This event is also a 5K, billed as The Turkey Trot.  It is a fundraiser to benefit the Pediatric Emergency Room at Cape Coral Hospital.  Luckily the course is on flat land!!  If you want to help the children too, sign up online at Fort Myers Track Club.

Sunday was a bit of a challenge for me to stay on program.  I took my daughter to visit the University of Tampa campus.  We had a great time.  What a pretty campus.  I tried to eat as best I could in their cafe, consuming a handful of pretzel nuggets, a spoonful of scrambled eggs (at least that's what they were supposed to be), a cup of fresh fruit, and a half-cup of oatmeal.  Getting in all of my water was difficult, and once again the best laid (exercise) plan of, not mice, but this [wo]man again went awry.  However, between the bridge on Friday and the campus foot tour (x2) on Sunday, I think I'm in ok shape at this point.  I am back on track today w/my nutrition so far, and planning to get to the gym later this evening.

Thanks again for all of the love and support!

2 comments:

  1. WTG Christy!!!!!! You're doing great and quite the inspiration!!!!!!! I need to get back to my weight goals too!!!!! So proud of you!
    xo

    ReplyDelete